Monday 19 January 2015

Vegan Banana Pancakes

Vegan Pancakes

When we moved to Thailand nine months ago I decided to become vegetarian. It was as easy as that, I eat delicious food and never crave meat or feel like I'm missing out by not eating it. (I'm sure it would be different back in the UK but for now I'm very happy).  Since we often eat at little vegan restaurants that use amazing meat substitutes, I figured I would try cutting out eggs and dairy for a month - how hard could it be?

Actually it's fine but I'm feeling a bit deprived of sweets and treats. I know you can make delicious vegan desserts but sometimes it feels like you need 17 types of organic nut butter, a blender, dehydrator and a space rocket. Since I have none of those things I have been going without.

But here is a vegan pancake recipe with 5 ingredients you probably already have in your cupboards. We enjoyed these as a leisurely weekend breakfast but dollop on some vegan ice cream or coconut cream and pudding's sorted!

Vegan Pancakes
Vegan Banana Pancakes:   
(serves 2) 
120g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder                             1 tbsp ground cinnamon               125ml sweetened soy milk or other non-dairy milk (if you have unsweetened milk, add a tablespoon of caster sugar)
1 banana (preferrably over ripe) 
Mash the banana with a fork. (If you are adding sugar mix it in with the banana now.)  
Slowly whisk the milk into the mashed banana so that you have a thick liquid mixture. 
Mix together the flour, cinnamon powder and baking powder in a bowl. 
Gradually add this to the banana mixture, whisking as you go to ensure that you have no lumps.
Heat some vegetable oil in a non stick pan over a medium heat. 
Once the oil is hot, spoon the mixture onto the pan and spread it a little (the mixture is very thick). 
Cook the pancakes until they are golden brown on each side. 
Plate them up and drizzle with syrup :)

No comments:

Post a Comment