Thursday 18 September 2014

Nutty French Soldiers

Or something like that…..!

French Toast

French toast (or eggy bread) is up there with my favorite breakfasts (and I'm a girl who loves her breakfasts). I'm always amazed by the magic eggs and a splash of milk can do to a humble slice of bread.

Frankly crispy bacon and maple syrup is the ultimate accompaniment to a stack of french toast or pancakes but as I'm currently meat free (and at any rate bacon is hard to come by here in Thailand) I had to come up with an alternative.
And it turns out this is a pretty great alternative. It satisfies my peanut addiction and, topped with super sweet Thai pineapple, it's a great way to start a Saturday.

If you want a great Saturday morning, you will need:


Peanuts (lots- I can't tell you exactly how much as I have no measuring equipment :/ )
5 slices of bread
3 eggs
6 spoons of milk (I used soy milk but any milk will do)
Pineapple or whatever else you fancy piling on top

Throw peanuts into a pestle and mortar and pestle away. If you have a food processor you could use that instead but make sure they are still a bit chunky and not completely ground.

Whisk the eggs together and then gently whisk in the milk. Cut the bread into soldiers and soak them in the egg and milk mixture. Dip the soldiers into the nut mixture so that there are nuts on both sides.

Heat butter or oil in a frying pan and cook the soldiers over a medium heat for a couple of minutes on each side or until they are golden brown.

And it's done! Easy, huh? If you're silly like me stack them up like Jenga but that's not strictly necessary!

French Toast

No comments:

Post a Comment