Friday 6 February 2015

Rum 'n' Raisin Rice Pudding


Rice Pudding

This should really be 'coconut rice pudding with rum soaked raisins' but that didn't sound so catchy!

I like coconut. I like it shaved, desiccated, as coconut water, in a bounty... but most of all I love coconut milk.

And there's loads of it here in Thailand. Granted, it might also have strange balls of gloop in it but there is a lot of coconut milk around. This is great for me and I'm growing a lovely round coconut belly.

So since we don't eat enough rice I decided to make rice pudding. I feel like rice pudding has got a bad rep - too many school dinner memories perhaps. But splash a bit of rum in there and hey, this is like no school dinner I have ever had.

The recipe is so simple I feel like a fraud but the result was delicious and I just had to share it. If you're currently shivering your way through winter, this is the perfect comfort food to enjoy in front of the fire whilst looking out the window at snow and frost.

Rice PuddingCoconut rice pudding  
(serves 4)
1 cup of glutinous rice
2 cups of coconut milk
1/2 cup of water 
(if you want to make it extra luxurious swap the water for more coconut milk)
1/4 cup sugar
80g raisins
rum 
  • Soak the raisins in rum overnight (feel free to skip this step but I think it really makes it!).
  • Put the rice, water, milk and sugar in a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for about 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Keep stirring so that the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
  • Once the rice is soft and has a nice thick, creamy consistency, take the pan of the heat. Stir in the raisins and a dash of the rum if you fancy. 
And it's as easy as that.

It doesn't sound like much but it was the perfect end to my month of eating vegan. I like my rice pudding warm but if you prefer it cold just cover with clingfilm (make sure the clingfilm sits on the pudding rather than just over the container unless you want a skin on it) and chill until you want to eat it.

I'm linking this up to #CookBlogShare over at www.supergoldenbakes.com


2 comments:

  1. You managed to make a recipe I don't particularly like (too many memories of eating it as a child – minus the rum!) like a MUST make! This is just perfect for the freezing cold evenings we are having. Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy, I was put off for years but I've been inspired by the mango and sticky rice they have here in Thailand.

      Delete