Monday 28 May 2012

Gluten-free traybake





My housemate was hosting a dinner party back in Brighton last weekend with several wheat/gluten free guests. She asked me if I could made a 'sweet' to have after the meal. Obviously I was more than happy to have an excuse to bake and agreed!


I immediately started dreaming up cheesecakes and meringue creations but as it would have to travek with her to work and then down to Brighton I figured a traybake might be the best idea. I have a really good flourless brownie recipe but I noticed that I've made quite a few chocolately things recently and wanted to make a bit of a change.


I rarely make traybakes as I find it more exciting and interesting to make cupcakes or a large celebration cake and I'm not sure I completely succeeded here. This little invention was inspired by bakewell tarts (her favourite!) and cheesecake brownies. I made a traybake version of a gluten free almond cake I've made a few times, spread a layer of raspberry jam on it and topped with baked cheesecake.


The result was a little thinner than I had hoped for - if I made it again I would use a smaller tin. However I hear it did go down very well so I think I might experiment with the recipe again.




Recipe

5ggs, separated
200g (7oz) caster sugar
225g (8oz) ground almonds
rasberry jam
280g (9oz) cream cheese
2 eggs
120g (4oz) caster sugar
tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan) and grease and line your baking tray. Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Add half the sugar and continue to whisk for one minute. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the remaining sugar for 2-3 minutes until pale and thick. Fold in in the ground almonds. Stir in 3 spoonfuls of the
egg whites to loosen mixture. Fold in the rest of the egg whites. Pour into the baking tray and bake for ten minutes.

Whilst the cake is in the oven, beat the cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until smooth and fluffy.

After ten minutes, spread a layer of raspberry jam on top of the sponge then top with the cream cheese mixture. Put back in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool before cutting into large portions :)

No comments:

Post a Comment